On September 2, 2021 the Folger hosts its Virtual Book Club, featuring a discussion of We That Are Young by Preti Taneja. To prepare for the discussion, we have pulled together a list of resources related to Shakespeare, King Lear, and how the story of a king and his three daughters has inspired new stories.
LEARN more about King Lear
- Full text of the play
- Collection images (Because of how they were cataloged, some images from other plays might appear in the image searches linked here, so always check the sidebar to see if the image is described as part of a larger group.)
- The play on Folgerpedia
LISTEN to related podcasts
- Episode 40: Shakespeare in India
- Episode 69: How ‘King Lear’ Inspired ‘Empire’
- Episode 84: Edward St. Aubyn: Dunbar
EXPLORE the play’s themes and adaptations
- The madness of Hamlet and King Lear: When psychiatrists used Shakespeare to argue legal definitions of insanity in the courtroom
- Excerpt from Dunbar: Edward St. Aubyn retells King Lear
- “Comic sport”: Shakespeare’s depictions of governments in chaos
- Questionable parenting: Shakespeare and the father portrayals in his plays
Words, Words, Words discusses Preti Taneja’s We That Are Young on September 2, 2021. The event is free, but registration is required through our website.