Folger Public Programs is pleased to present ENCORES, a weekly online series highlighting past performances and recalling the rich history of programming on the historic Folger stage. As many arts and cultural institutions remain closed during this time, these ENCORES provide a way to connect and revisit the breadth of Folger offerings with a wider audience.
- Alison Luff, Nell Gwynn
- Regina Aquino, Lady Castlemaine & Louise de Keroualle
- Caitlin Cisco, Rose Gwynn
- Kevin Collins, Musician
- Christopher Dinolfo, Edward Kynaston
- Catherine Flye, Nancy & Ma Gwynn
- R. J. Foster, King Charles II
- Quinn Franzen, Charles Hart
- Michael Glenn, John Dryden
- Nigel Gore, Thomas Killigrew
- Jeff Keogh, Lord Arlington
- Alex Michell, Ned Spigget
- Zoe Speas, Queen Catherine, Musician
- Scenic Design by Tony Cisek
- Costume Design by Mariah Anzaldo Hale
- Lighting Design by Andrew F. Griffin
- Sound Design by Matt Otto
- Original Music by Kim Sherman
For a musical playlist inspired by the play, visit this post from the Folger Spotlight.
Read the introduction by cast member R. J. Foster:
Hello and welcome to Folger ENCORES! I am R.J. Foster and I was King Charles II in the Folger Theatre production of Nell Gwynn.
The Folger has launched ENCORES, a series that brings plays, music and spoken word from the Folger archives directly to you.
You are going to see a scene from Jessica Swale’s play, directed by Robert Richmond, that incorporates great music from composer Kim Sherman and is delivered with panache by the amazing Alison Luff (who won a Helen Hayes Award for this performance). We hope that you will enjoy watching this bit of Nell Gwynn.
If you would like to know more about Folger Theatre please visit folger.edu. There, you will find information about this production and so many other great performances. We hope you will join us for these weekly episodes of ENCORES, highlighting all that the Folger has to offer. Thank you for tuning in.
Check back each Friday for a new “from the archives” performance, introduced by some of our favorite artists, showcasing the best of Folger Theatre, Folger Consort, O.B. Hardison Poetry, and lectures.