On September 3, 2020, the Folger continues its Virtual Book Club with The Shakespeare Requirement by Julie Schumacher. To prepare for the discussion, we have pulled together a list of Folger resources related to Shakespeare in education that would earn even Professor Cassovan’s seal of approval—including some pop quizzes for extra credit!
LISTEN to episodes of the Shakespeare Unlimited podcast
- Episode 109: Julie Schumacher on The Shakespeare Requirement
- Episode 135: The History of Shakespeare in American Schools
- Episode 137: Books and Reading in Shakespeare’s England
LEARN about Shakespeare and education, then and now
- Which Shakespeare plays are most often taught in high school English classes?
- Excerpt – “How to Think Like Shakespeare: Lessons from a Renaissance Education” by Scott Newstok
- Elizabethan education and Ben Jonson’s school days
- Educating and training a child in the early modern period
EXPLORE the work of Folger Education
- Community Conversations hosted as part of Teaching During COVID-19
- The Folger Method
- Teaching Modules for Shakespeare
TEST your knowledge with Shakespeare quizzes
- Quiz: Shakespeare trivia
- Quiz: What do you know about the life of William Shakespeare?
- Quiz: How well do you know the history of Shakespeare in America?
- Quiz: Can you identify the Shakespeare play by only the first line?
Words, Words, Words discusses The Shakespeare Requirement on Thursday, September 3. Registration for the October 1 session on Maryse Condé’s I, Tituba: Black Witch of Salem opens Tuesday, September 8. We hope you make a plan to join us!